Thursday, June 10, 2010

Birthday Wreath

I saw this idea on How Does She? And thought it sounded like a cheap, easy craft. Well, it was easy, but it wasn't anywhere near as cheap as I thought it would be.

Problem #1 - I had a heck of a time finding the right sized balloons. I looked at Target, Wal-Mart, Michaels, Dollar Store, Party City . . no luck. I found either water balloons (that would take too many to fill a wreath) or the giant ones (that would be way too big and not look good for a wreath.)

I happened to be at Safeway getting milk and walked by the balloons and found a pack that would be the right size. They were packed in bags of 100 - I ended up using 350 balloons, my sister ended up using 250. I packed mine in tighter and her's were a little looser - both look great and full.

Problem #2 - I found floral pins that the tutorial mentioned to use, but they were about 3 inches long - so they would stick out the back of my wreath. I guess I used a smaller wreath than they did - mine was the styrofoam one from the dollar store. So I ended up using sewing pins with the plastic balls on the ends. They worked great.

Problem #3 - I didn't plan on using 350 balloons since the tutorial only mentioned about 140 balloons, so I didn't have enough pins. So we doubled them up and used 2 balloons per pin - it worked just fine.

I love how it turned out. But for some reason I thought it would only be about 5-8 dollars. But it turned out to be about $15 dollars to make it in the end. Still not too bad, but it was twice what I thought it would be.

2 comments:

  1. i made one, but i used specific colors not a mix. i used almost 400 balloons and it cost almost $50 to make. but for what i needed it for... it was perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work. Keep it up. You design beautiful birthday wreath. I like your post. Thank you for sharing new ideas. Moreoverr, The Iron works in Philadelphia deliver the best and affordable iron work as your desired requirements.

    ReplyDelete