Thursday, March 17, 2011

Self-binding receiving blanket

I had the idea in my head to make a blanket like this when my son was born ... but he just turned 3, so obviously, I never got it figured out.  I wanted the back to wrap around the front to give the binded edge look on the front, but I couldn't figure out how to make the corners mitered and pretty...so I gave up.

...but, I found a tutorial for a self-binding blanket that a friend had used for her daughter's blanket. 
It was a bit tricky to work with since I decided to use a flannel backed satin for the back and binding.  It was slippery and gave me all sorts of problems.  But I think if you used 2 pieces of flannel, it would work out fine.

I made this one for my sister-in-law's baby shower last weekend.  I knew my mom was making a lot of receiving blankets for her, so I wanted to try a non-traditional baby blanket.  I like how it turned out, but the standard receiving blankets are a lot less work in my opinion. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good work! I hate sewing with slippery and minky fabrics. They always go all over the place. It's not an easy blanket to make. It always takes me two tries to do the first corner right. I don't call myself a wonderful seamstress by any means, but my sis-in-law that is amazing at sewing (and has 10 years on me) can't even figure those suckers out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY, that's my blanket!!! :) Well, not mine--my baby's! I LOVE it! You did such a great job. I love how it has silk all around it. Andrea had a blanket like that, and she would always rub the silk on her face. She called it her "silky."

    ReplyDelete