I found these while blog hopping and went to my wood stash and immediately marked them to cut...my husband is my designated wood cutter nowadays since I almost cut my finger off making wood clovers in March. So I had to wait till he got home from work to finish these.
I cut my 2x2's at 4.5", 6", and 7.5" for those who want dimensions.
I used a mixture of vinyl and painting to get the details. I used the outside of the vinly for the USA letters as a stencil and painted in the letters with blue paint on the cream firecracker since the vinyl wouldn't show up on that light of paint.
I attached my rope differently since I didn't want the tail exposed at the top, and I wanted it to stick straight up. So....I hammered a thin nail through the top of each block and pulled the nail out. Then I found a long pin and threaded it through the rope piece and stuck it in the hole. So the pin holds it upright and no exposed tail.
I made 2 sets - one for the mantle and one for the shelf by the entryway.