I started this cape about 9-10 months ago (made the pattern and cut out the fabric). And then I finally got around to sewing it in the last month or so. I just wasn't excited to sew on the plasticy pleather fabric. I tinkered with different designs - starting out with a bunch of papers taped together to get the length and width and then made about a dozen different designs for the neck/closure section before I got something I liked and that fit him good. It has a velcro closure at the neck and the length just brushes the ground - I figured it was a good length to start with so that it would grow with him and last longer.
I backed the mask in black felt since that gave it more stability - but after my first horrible mask, I realized it was better not to cut out the black felt in the mask shape before sewing it. The red pleather stretched and it was better to cut after it was top stitched.