The pink fabric is one that I had be eyeing at Jo-Anns for months, but couldn't bring myself to pay the $10 a yard they were asking. Well, my patience paid off. I found it in the red tag clearance section for $5 a yard . . . but even better, they were having a 50% off sale on red tag fabrics . . . so it was only $2.50 a yard. The green striped fabric was left over from a Ralph Lauren sheet I've been cutting up for months (bought at goodwill). And the interfacing and ribbon are scraps left over from other projects. So all in all, this probably cost me about $4 in materials (and I got the pattern for .99 cents at the last sale).
It was the most detailed/involved pattern I've used before. It was easy, but took a lot of attention. I used lining, interfacing, elastic, made interior pockets, side pockets, pleats, and a fabric flower. It took me several days, but that's just cause I run out of energy quickly being 8 months pregnant, and trying to fit in the cutting/sewing during nap times. I'm very happy with how it turned out.
The pattern called for a ribbon bow on the front, but I decided to take some of the fabric scraps and make a flower instead. I put the green fabric strip on top of the pink one, and sewed a gathering stitch down the middle. Then I wound it into a circular shape as I sewed it on.Side pockets for bottles or sippy cups.
There are 4 interior pockets . . .
For my son, I had been using a diaper bag my sister made me from an Amy Butler pattern. She told me she will never make that pattern again - I guess it drove her nuts. Anyway, that diaper bag has been beat up over the last 18 months, plus, this time, I wanted a diaper bag that had the flap to close - I drop things out of my current one too much and it's huge, so I tend to over stuff it.