Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Peep Bunny Bunting

Dana had another great project idea . . . A Peep Bunting. I didn't have any felt on hand and it was nap time, so I wasn't able to leave the house to go get some. And the impulsiveness of my personality didn't want to wait. So I dug through my fabric drawers and found this gorgeous purple satin fabric. It seemed like a "peep purple."I sewed the back bunny to the ribbon and then I tried sewing around the edge to connect it to the back layer, but it looked crappy and too homemade. So I unstitched it and opted for the spray adhesive. It's kinda fragile, but as long as the kids don't get a hold of it, it should last years.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Easter Vase

I saw this vase idea on someone's blog . . . I got a glass candlestick from the dollar store, painted it blue and then put one of my drinking glasses on top of it.

To make the easter grass, I cut strips of green cardstock and folded them up in that zig-zag pattern. Then I filled it with decorative eggs.

This is by far my favorite holiday thing I've made lately.

Also, the vinyl blocks were made through a kit I purchased from Creative Signs by Jenna a couple years ago - she still sells them on her Etsy shop.

Friday, March 19, 2010

Gathered/Ruffled Scarf

I found this idea and made a scarf for my mother-in-law. I didn't have enough of the plaid fabric to get one long piece, so I made 2 rows of the gathered ruffle rows on each end. The tutorial calls for flannel, but I think the plaid was a bottom weight (or something that's kinda heavy but stretchy). And the pink was a woven cotton. I don't know what kind of fabric they were - I had them on hand from other projects.
Here's a closer image of the ruffles. It's hard to get them to show up since the fabric is so bright.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Refinished Cubby

When we bought our house, this coat cubby was left behind in the garage. I was so excited to transform it into something cute! It's hard to tell from the picture, but the wood was in bad shape (water damage on the base and someone had spray painted scary skulls on the back.) Oh, and we're in the middle of tearing down the deck, so that's why the background looks all messy and disheveled. So after sanding, a couple coats of paint, and some fabric mod podged to the back peg board, it looks brand new.
And I cut the names out of fabric with my cricut as well and mod podged them to the fabric.

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Multi-Washer Necklaces

**I've had a few requests for the directions I wrote up to take to our YW activity . . . you can download it here.**

I found this idea while blog hopping . . . and used it to teach the Young Women (ages 12-18 from church) at our last activity. It took me several tries and over an hour to figure it out the first time. I ended up writing my own instructions for the activity that seemed easier to follow.

You only need 18 washers and 60" of ribbon. I think each necklace came out to around 2-3 dollars each. We used black satin ribbon, but I had also made one out of the pink grosgrain ribbon as well. The satin ribbon is easier to keep the weave tighter, but it gets twisted a lot and you need to straighten it out all the time. The grosgrain is harder to keep the weaving tight, but it's stiffer, so it's easier to work with when threading it through the washers.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Dana's 90 Minute Shirt - I tried . . .

I tried Dana's 90 Minute Shirt - which meant making my own pattern. But it was free - I used an old t-shirt that used to be my brother-in-law's (which I intercepted on it's way to goodwill) and the red ribbing was from an old tank top of mine. It lookes better in the picture than in person. When he moves, it bunches up around the neck line and at the shoulders. So it looks like a bunched up turtleneck :( So while he was watching Cars, I took my "mark-b-gone" pen and drew on the shirt where I need to cut and re-sew the neck line. He kept looking at me funny since I was drawing on the shirt while he was wearing it.

So that means that tonight I have a date with a seam ripper and the couch. And this took me from about 10am till 5pm today (with many, many stops to feed the baby or help Ethan with whatever he was doing. The longest part was trying to create a pattern. The sewing went really easy and fast. So I can see how once you have a pattern set, it would be a quick shirt to make. But then you have the problem of your children growing, thus your pattern will always need tweaking.