Monday, June 27, 2011

Subtle Patriotic Pillows

I wanted to make pillow covers that were fitting for the 4th of July holiday coming up, but I wasn't like most of the patriotic fabric I saw at the store - I was hoping for stars but didn't like the cartoon-ish ones I saw, so I wandered over to the home decor fabric and found a navy blue print.  And then I decided I was going to go for a subtle patriotic flare for the couch.

I used red satin for the band and bow, but I would suggest using something not so slippery - I'm adjusting the bows and fixing the way it's laying about every hour from kiddos (or my husband) playing or sitting on the couch.  I ended up making 2 of these pillows.  I have a red couch, so they look pretty on it - adding to the holiday decor.

The pillow covers are the removable type with the envelope back so that I can change them back to my every day pillow cover when the holiday is over.  For the bows, I just sewed a band to fit around the pillow, added a big rectangle for the body of the bow and then wrapped the bow center around the bow rectangle and the band.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who was a little disappointed by the fourth of july fabric selection this year. I love the way your pillows look! They make me want to sew some up right now. :) I would love to see a picture of them actually on your couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Very pretty. Classy and elegant.

    ReplyDelete