I made this for my mom for Mother's Day . . . I used an old kitchen drawer front (recycled from a kitchen my husband demo'd at work - he owns a cabinet company and designs/installs people's new kitchens/bathrooms and occasionally tears out their old kitchen and brings me home the drawer fronts in good shape to use on projects like this)
And then I drilled holes for the dowels to sit in and hung the number tiles on there. There are additional tiles hanging behind the current numbers so she can change them when more grandkids are added to the family.
for the number tiles: I bought a long, thin piece of wood at Jo-Ann's and cut it with a saw, then drilled the holes to hang on the dowels. Followed by paint and vinyl.