Monday, May 31, 2010

ABCs in a Can

I saw this idea on Brown Paper Packages and instantly knew I wanted to make one. I did things a little differently since I didn't have the same supplies she did. We don't drink juice from a concentrate, so I didn't have 26 of those lids on hand. But . . . we do eat refridgerator biscuits - you know, those Pillsbury ones packed in a tube? So I used those instead. But they are much smaller, so a No. 10 can wouldn't work good with smaller circles. So I cleaned out an old infant formula can - I knew I saved those for a reason (but I had the "sample" size that I got in the mail from Similac, so the smaller size worked great with the biscuit lids.)


My daughter grabbed the inside rim yesterday and cut her finger, even though I thought I checked to see if it was smooth enough - guess not - so I would suggest sanding the inner rim down before giving it to your kiddos.


The other thing I did differently is I used letter die-cuts I've had for several years instead of printing them on the paper with the computer/printer.


The above picture didn't show it, but later I cut a slit in the lid so he can drop the letters in. I just used an exacto knife to cut through the plastic lid - worked great.


I showed it to my son when he got up from nap and there were a lot of wow's and smiles. He's just learning his letters so he loved seeing them on the metal lids that he could drop in the jar.



Then a few weeks later, I saw on her blog that she made something else with juice lids . . . a color quiet book. So now, I guess I have to go out and start buying juice concentrate to get the larger lids.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this idea. It will be perfect for my future Kindergarten classroom. I've seen several crafts with the juice lids. I do not use juice concentrate either and I have been trying to find other things I could use. Thanks for the great idea about the buscuit tubes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [01 Jun 02:00pm GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete