But that meant that it would have fraying raw edges, so I added a bit to the measurements when cutting so I could fold the edges under and use a decorative stitch around the edge in black thread. I also mitered the corners so it would lay flat - using this tutorial I found online.
In the end, I do wish I had just waited and bought a little bit of felt so it would last a bit longer. It's pretty delicate and gets a little beat up when the kids grab it off the table. But all in all, I'm happy with it. I may back it with black fabric to make it last longer, but that means another step, and I have other projects I'm dying to finish . . . and a Super Saturday to get ready for - so no time this month.
***this took FOREVER to cut out and I had several hand cramps along the way. So this isn't a "one day" or "one nap" project ***