The fabric is a charcoal gray - but it looks like black in the picture. And the red fabric is actually not so bright in real life either. I found this fabric in the red tag clearance section at Jo-Anns and then matched the red to the spray paint I used on his dresser.
I kinda followed the same measurements I ended up with for my daughter's curtain, but then I added some extra fabric at the bottom - with the stripes going the opposite direction as the top section. I also added blackout fabric to the back as well, to help keep the sunlight out during nap times.
These curtains just have a casing at the top that the curtain rod slides through. I'm so through making curtains for a while. It's stressful trying to work with large amounts of fabric and also trying to get the red stripe to line up on both pieces was a headache. But I'm happy with how they turned out.